The official disclaimer for the Yuppi Mom Diaries Blog

"Never before have so many had so much to say to so few people."

-Anon. about blogging

Yup, that about sums it up.

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Memorial Day Parade

I've never missed a Canandaigua Memorial Day Parade. Ever. There were years that I had to march in it, either with the soccer team, Girl Scout troop, or marching band, but the best years were when I was still a kid and could scramble after the candy.Now as a parent I can take my children to the parade, and watch them run after the tootsie rolls and Jolly Ranchers.So you would think that I would sit back and enjoy the parade. Hardly. This year I marched with the Red Cross, and brought along most of the family and our neighbors with me. J decided that watching the parade was a much better idea because he could collect the candy. K was content to ride along in the wagon and steal tootsie rolls. And my amazing husband was willing to go with the flow and wear one of the disaster vests- even though it was extremely hot to wear.Two of the Belles boys came along to help out too, and so did their easy going mother (it seems I can convince her to go along with just about any crazy idea I have). As much fun as it is to sit and watch the parade go by, it is just as much fun to be a part of it. You really get to see everyone, and you wonder how it's possible to know so many people.
It's also always a surprise to see how fast the parade goes. As soon as you take off it feels like only a 5 minute walk until you're at the big iron gate at Woodlawn Cemetary, the parade's end point.

It was nice to have the opportunity to be a part of the parade this year. Besides, we have a whole summer of parades lined up where all we have to do is simply show up and enjoy.

No comments: