The official disclaimer for the Yuppi Mom Diaries Blog

"Never before have so many had so much to say to so few people."

-Anon. about blogging

Yup, that about sums it up.

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Lobbying in Albany




So earlier this week I went pandering... I mean lobbying.... in the state capitol.  And I came home so thankful that I don't have to do that for a living.

The event was largely positive, mainly because
a.  We were lobbying for an organization with a great reputation and universal recognition and
b.  Our local legislators are really great people.

Even so I can imagine that people from other organizations/political groups/causes do not have the same things going for them and that the entire ordeal can be stressful, difficult, and all together horrible.

We had appointments with the three legislators that cover our service areas.  Newly elected Senator Ted O'Brien didn't make time for us.  We met out in the hallway with his 20-something assistant.  She was gracious and funny... but it's hard not to feel slighted that even a lowly newbie legislator can't take 10 minutes to talk with you.

After that I expected that our other two appointments might go the same way.  After all, Brian Kolb is the Assembly Minority Leader and is one busy guy.  Ditto for Senator Mike Nozzolio.  But both not only made time for our group but seemed to have done as much research on us as we had on them.


Less than 24 hours later we were headed back home, grateful for the opportunity to meet with our legislators but even more grateful to only do it under that context once a year!



No comments: