The official disclaimer for the Yuppi Mom Diaries Blog

"Never before have so many had so much to say to so few people."

-Anon. about blogging

Yup, that about sums it up.

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Canning Season

Every spring I prepare my garden. I make my father load his tiller onto his truck and bring it over. I make Mark do the tilling. And then I plant the seeds and plants.

Peas, beans, tomatoes, squash... we have it all.

At least until about mid-July. By that time I've given up weeding, and the deer have decimated what did grow.

So by September when it's canning season I have to buy everything. The tomatoes, onions, peppers & garlic.

We usually start with a bushel from the farmer's market. Followed by another bushel the next weekend. And this weekend, a box of tomatoes from Beacon Hill.Then the canning starts. And goes on. And on. For two or three weeks at a time until there are 40 Ball jars of salsa on our counter.

Who on earth eats that much salsa?

We do. Honestly.

Mexican style, mango, mild, hot... we eat it all. But we are willing to share. And I'm willing to share my recipes too. Check them out here.
Even with the 6 separate batches I made this year I'm still looking at a full BOX of tomatoes on the kitchen floor. Looks like pasta sauce and just plain old canned tomatoes are up next.

No comments: