So the craziest thing happened when we went away on vacation. While we were gone I was nominated by my fellow club members in PWFL (Professional Women of the Finger Lakes) as their Woman of the Year. By the time we came home from vacation the ballot was sitting in my inbox, but the voting was already over. In my absence they even swiped my picture for the program from social networking (good thing that picture on Linked In was a good one!).
I was surprised. I questioned the judgement of those who nominated me. I mean.... clearly they had the wrong person! So I did what any sane and rational woman being honored by their peers would do... I ignored it. I don't like being in the spot light, and I don't know how to appropriately express my appreciation. So I pretended the nomination didn't happen. Or at least I tried to.
I had a lot going so it was easy not to focus on it. I had board meetings, and work to catch up on, and I had worked on the planning committees for both the PWFL event and a similar event for the Victor Chamber that followed on Thursday.
I kept trying not to think about what I would say if I ended up being the recipient on Wednesday night. "Thank you" wouldn't be enough to express my gratitude at being recognized by the women who I looked up to and respected greatly.
In the end I said very little. The other nominees did not speak long after being brought up on stage to receive their plaque. So I was off the hook.
Kind of.
Once it was over I realized how much I really wanted to say. And how poorly I express my thoughts in words, despite how much I wanted to say.
It should have gone something like this:
"I am incredibly humbled to be honored and recognized by the women that inspire me. When I joined PWFL it was early in my career and I was trying to connect with other professional women. I did get the networking and connections that I was looking for- and so much more.
The scholarship program that PWFL runs is an incredible thing to be a part of and to help fund raise for. Our networking events are fun. The professional development and speakers brought in are inspirational. I remain a member for all of these reasons.
But more than that I love the women that are a part of the group. They are inspiring, energizing, motivating and amazing. I have been so honored to consider them my friends."
Then I'd probably go on to thank the Academy, my agent, the key grips... but most importantly my husband. Because if he wasn't the amazing husband and father that he is I wouldn't have the time (and the numerous evening engagements) to serve on boards and plan PWFL programs.
And then I probably would have ended with another couple hundred thank-yous... even though that wouldn't be nearly enough.
Thai Chicken Zucchini Noodles
-
There's a lot of back story for this recipe. Let's start with the fact that
I joined Weight Watchers this week. There was a deal through work and I
deci...
10 years ago





No comments:
Post a Comment