As runners go, I'm of the gimicky variety. No offense to those who
sign up every weekend for a 5k through the summer, I'll run my share.
But what really makes me sign up for a 5k is the gimick.
Dress
like a princess? I just so happen to have a tutu to wear. Mud &
obstacles? Bring it on. Beer at the finish line? Now you're talking
my language.
When I saw the Trot with Troops 5k advertised in
Rochester it already had my attention. The first half of the 5k was to
be run in formation, led by drill instructors calling out a cadence.
Even better, the proceeds from the race went towards Operation Patriot,
helping America's returning soldiers in times of need.
As a bonus,
participants could sign up this year for a "PT Challenge"- a short
bootcamp followed by a 1.5 mile sprint to the finish line. Push-ups and
sit-ups? I can do that, I figured.... so I signed up.
The day of
the race was cold- especially next to the Genesee River! The crowd was
glad to start moving after the brief ceremony and swearing in of half a
dozen Air Force recruits. The first lap- starting from the Time Warner
building on Mount Hope- went to the Ford Street Bridge, through Corn
Hill Landing, back over the Exchange Street Bridge and home. It was a
SLOOOW lap, the Marines at the front setting a 9 1/2 mile pace.
And
then we were done. We went through the finish line and the group
disbanded. "Is that it?" I asked the runner next to me. He glanced at
his GPS watch and said "Yup, that was 2.7 miles. Close enough, I
guess."
Figuring we had a few minutes until the PT challenge
portion started I went to find the bathrooms and the water station...
only to find out from a very irate drill instructor that there was a
second lap. Apparently my fellow runner needs a better GPS.
When
it came time for the PT Challenge there were less than 20 people left.
We were led through a series of push-ups, sit-ups, and other drills
while drill sargents came around taking 10 seconds off our time if we
couldn't keep up the pace. The exercise portion wasn't necessarily
difficult on its own. But the drilll instructors yelling made it seem a
lot tougher! I heard many times "Number 8 zero 2 get all the way down
on those girlie pushups!"
Then it was off to the race- after a
25-yard bear crawl and 25-yard low crawl under wires. Another 1.6 mile
lap around the course and through the finish line for the final time.
The
winner walked away with $500. I went home with a skinned elbow... and a
lot of respect for the men and women who do this on a daily basis.
No comments:
Post a Comment