I could spend hours going through pictures of abandoned buildings. I love the beauty of once-beautiful spaces left to nature.
I am not very adventurous, however, and would be the last person lining up to go take pictures of the inside of an abandoned house or insane asylum.
About a year ago I did have the chance to see the current condition of the former Academy on Main Street. Turned into senior housing when the new school was built, most of the building has been converted and is inhabited. The exception is the auditorium and the pool in the basement below it.
I never attended school here, but I was thrilled to have the chance to walk through it. It is *hopefully* being returned to use as a community theater. Looks like a lot of work lies ahead, but what a great space for the community!
The pool is another story. I DO remember swimming here when it was open in the evenings to the public. It was dark and smelly and not a fun place for a swim. I also have not quite fond memories of the bathing suits that the women wore in the 60's- they were still used at the new Academy pool for students that forgot to bring their own suits! Yup, I wore one on more than one occasion.
Last room on the tour- the practice rooms up on the 2nd floor- once part of the balcony but now enclosed.


No comments:
Post a Comment