Once again, thank GOD this is almost over.
Being involved in politics over the last several years, I don't know how it was possible for me to be so completely naive about the process. I've seen the best and the worst in people.
It isn't so much the people I expected it from. Getting flack from the Wicked Witch of West Lake Rd. was laughable because everyone in town knows that she's bat sh*t crazy. How easily she forgets that the reason there are SIX people vying for a spot on the town board is because she's made such a mess of it in the last four years.
What was really surprising was the goodness I discovered in people I never knew, and the not-so-goodness in those I knew and previously respected. If nothing else, running for town board has opened my eyes to the true nature of people.
I most likely won't make it through the primary today, and that's ok with me. I have learned that I do not take criticism well, and that I am not cut out to be a public figure. Which is ok. Working behind the scenes on campaigns was much more fun that trying to manage my own.
I initially ran because the town has been so dysfunctional and has lacked even the most basic common sense over the past four years. In dealing with my own party I realize how blind I've been to the dysfunction even closer to home.
But I have learned a lot of positive things out of this mess too. I have learned that I need to have a thicker skin, and not let the criticism of strangers get to me. I have learned that there are much more important things in life. MUCH more. And most of all I have come to appreciate my husband even more. This has been a tough year for us. Between the stress of selling and building a house, weeks of morning sickness (in which I made him suffer as much as I did, poor guy), and then the stress of the campaign, he has been my rock. I know, I'm getting all sappy on a blog that is usually irreverant and sarcastic, but he deserves some recognition. He is truly amazing.
He has told me that this isn't it. He has reminded me that Michael Jordan was cut from his Freshman basketball team and that Abraham Lincoln lost his first election in a landslide. Good for them- they've got a much thicker skin than I.
So that's it. We'll see how it turns out today. I won't be watching closely, in fact I'll be working until 9 or 10 tonight (it's Girl Scout cookie season!). In the end, I'll wake up on Wednesday morning and the world will be well again. After tomorrow, no more politics. My world will be back to rainbows and puppy dogs.
Thai Chicken Zucchini Noodles
-
There's a lot of back story for this recipe. Let's start with the fact that
I joined Weight Watchers this week. There was a deal through work and I
deci...
10 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment