The official disclaimer for the Yuppi Mom Diaries Blog

"Never before have so many had so much to say to so few people."

-Anon. about blogging

Yup, that about sums it up.

Monday, January 31, 2011

Taking a Limo to Wayne County

This past weekend Mark and I were planning on attending a fundraiser for another Red Cross chapter up in Wayne County. A few days before the event there was a special for a limo company in town. So a small trip up to Palmyra became a party with four other couples.I'm not sure why they agreed to go. A casino night at a Moose Lodge in Wayne County sounds kind of sketchy. And I'm sure they were all thinking that. But I've taken them to the dirt races already and I guess they figured that I plan some pretty fun entertainment.
Clarkie picked us up at 7pm and we headed North into the land of cows and country music. Of course they've seen stretch limos out in 315-country. I think.

When we got to the Moose Lodge I was a little nervous. I'm pretty sure I heard banjoes playing. And the place smelled like the American Legion my grandmother used to take me to when I was a kid. The kind of place where you could bring a kid into a bar, buy them a Shirley Temple to keep them quiet, and drink a few glasses of wine without anyone looking at you funny.
But the room was packed. There was your typical element- the guy with the curly mullet behind the bar, and the biker-looking women with their leather vests. There were also a whole lot of people drinking beer and playing cards and casino games with their fake money.
Kim and I stuck to craps- and won big.
Most of the boys preferred games like Black Jack. You know, games where they had to count.
The beers were cheap. Really cheap. But you did have to play waitress for yourself. (Thanks Sheedy!)
Aside from the card games, there was a silent auction.
Dustin won a signed Troy Palamaulu picture.
Sheedy went for Doris Day and James Earl Jones. Dave got Michele Wie.
At the end of the night we pooled our money together to bid on the live auction items.
The "Beer for a Year" package went for over a million dollars, and we had to pool our resources with another group of people.
In the end we won 6 cases of beer. One case for each couple- and one for Sheedy. We hopped in the limo and headed back home, everyone agreeing that they throw one hell of a party in Wayne County.

No comments: