The official disclaimer for the Yuppi Mom Diaries Blog

"Never before have so many had so much to say to so few people."

-Anon. about blogging

Yup, that about sums it up.

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Pinterest Project Pass/Fail: Toaster Cleaner

So for a few years now I've been updating this blog with occasional posts about life, work, and other odds and ends.  It's been a very random blog, and a very poorly read one.  According to my statistics on the homepage, I average one "hit" a day.  Two on days that I log in to post.

And that's fine.  Because I really just use this as an outlet to post pictures my projects, use lame attempts at humor and take pot shots at people I don't personally know.

It's fine.

Until yesterday.  After joking about Festivus on facebook this blog had over 100 hits.  I'm pretty sure more people clicked on over here yesterday than, well, ever.

And today you get a post about cleaning a toaster.  I told you it was a random blog.


So let's start the story here:

I saw a sign (on Pinterest, of course!) that said:

"Pinterest is actually a conspiracy created by husbands to trick their wives into cooking, cleaning, and working out."

Judging from the projects I've attempted that included window cleaner, home-made pledge, shower cleaner and now this... I'm a little suspicious too!

And why else would I be up at 10 o'clock at night scrubbing my toaster??

Granted, it needed it.  Badly.  Unfortuantely for our toaster, it sits right next to the stove.  Next to the big burner, no less, where all the stir-fry recipes happen.  So it's a bit splattered and gunky.  But according to Pinterest (and a woman who has the exact same toaster), it was an easy fix.

Cream of Tartar, a member of my spice rack for the sole reason that a Snickerdoodle cookie recipe called for it some five years ago, was the only required ingredient for this project.  But some commenters did not agree, and said baking soda was the way to go.

So I tried both.  And I scrubbed that poor little toaster for all I was worth at 10 o'clock on a Thursday night.  And the result?

Verdict:  Win!  Baking soda, not so much.  Cream of Tartar?  Who knew?  Look at my shiny new toaster! 

No comments: