The official disclaimer for the Yuppi Mom Diaries Blog

"Never before have so many had so much to say to so few people."

-Anon. about blogging

Yup, that about sums it up.

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

The War on Santa


There is of course the "War on Poverty," the "War on Drugs", and the "War on Christmas in Schools."  But until I was a parent I didn't know that there was a War on Santa.

As a child I believed in Santa.  Obviously.  I believed right up until I was in Middle School and my brother (younger than me by four years!) broke the news.  I was devastated.  I asked my mother that night, and she of course fessed up.  "But there is still an Easter Bunny, right?" I asked.

I was a gullible kid.

And I never resented my parents for "lying" to me about Santa all those years.  Believing in Santa and the magic of Christmas made the holidays special and magical.

I can understand why some parents choose not to recognize Santa.  They may follow a different religion.  Or they may believe that Santa takes away the focus from the true meaning of the holiday.  But the parents that don't want Santa to take the credit for the bounty under the tree?  That's just selfish!  But apparently it's becoming more common.

Here's a typical response from a Santa-denier:

"I'll tell my kids the truth about Santa, but I am certainly not going to allow him to have all the credit when I slaved, sweated, busted may arse to be the one to put those gifts under the tree...sorry!"

I'm literally speechless.  Well, not really, but I am completely amazed that any parent could be so selfish.  The thing is, as parents we don't generally get credit.  Ever.  As far as I know we didn't have children for that reason.

We might get credit eventually... when our children have children of their own. Maybe.

But if you're banning Santa from the house because you want all the credit for the great toys you're buying this year, you may want to reassess your role as a parent.

I am not expecting any kind of credit.  I am not lying to my children. I'm creating magic.  And memories.

So please, stop the nonsense and let Santa down the chimney this year.  


No comments: