For the princess party I wanted some decorations I could use again. These topiaries will be hanging out on my shelves and fireplace mantle until Valentine's Day!

What you need:
Foam Balls
Fake Flower bunches (about 4-5 bunches, or 20-25 heads per topiary)
wooden dowel
some type of pot or vase
more foam

What you do:
Star with round balls. Or make a square piece as round as you can by cutting off corners and edges. That's what I did because I'm cheap, and at the Dollar Store one small ball was $1... and so was a 3-pack of square foam pieces.
Get your glue gun warmed up.
Slather glue on a 2"-square piece of foam. Quickly stick flowers onto ball (poking them into the foam) before the glue hardens. Repeat.
When you're all done, stick a dowel in the bottom of the flower ball.
Stick other end into a piece of foam in the vase or pot. I tried to cover the foam with moss (also from the Dollar Store).
These initial pictures of leaning topiaries weren't cutting it for me. The wooden dowels weren't strong enough to support the flower balls.
Go with stronger dowels. I got a 30-pack from Wal-Mart in the craft section for $3.
Total cost per topiary: $7

No comments:
Post a Comment